When should I let my teenager drive a car?
What matters isn’t your child’s age, but his maturity levels. How responsible is he? Can you trust him to follow road rules? Can he control his temper and impulses? When he is on the road, he has to consider his safety, the safety of his passengers, and the safety of all the cars around him. This kind of power must be earned — and we don’t just mean taking an extra job so he can buy a car himself. What is his level of emotional readiness?
Before giving your teen a car, or letting him buy one, sit down for a very serious talk on the kind of responsibility he bears whenever he sits behind a wheel. Don’t be afraid to show him statistics of road accidents, or even talk about people you know who have lost loved ones because of a drunk or reckless driver.
And even when he has a car, make it clear that maintaining it is his responsibility. He has to pay for any repairs from his own allowance or earnings. Even if you can afford to shoulder all expenses, owning a car is a great opportunity for your child to learn how to manage personal property and income.
More Recent Q&As
- How many credit cards should I have?
- Why do we celebrate Mother’s Day and what’s its origin?
- How do you know if eggs are still safe to be eaten?
- Is it safer to get a tan on a sunbed than to get it out in the sun?
- Where do birds go when a storm hits?
- Why do eggs represent Easter?
- What’s the best way to open an oyster?
- What’s the easiest way to take out a splinter?
- Why are the planets named after Greek gods?
- How do I take a screenshot on my computer?
- How often should you clean your ears?
- How long can I keep an open bottle of red wine?
- Do I need to have a college degree to have a stable job?
- If my skin is dry, does it mean I’m not drinking enough water?
- How can I protect my photo from being stolen on the web?
- What are some easy Chinese dishes that a new cook can try?
- What should i do when my teenagers fight?
- What’s the best bold lipstick for your skin tone?
- What’s the best way to take care of makeup brushes?
- What’s the best way to apply sunscreen?
- What’s the best way to apply gltiter polish?
- What are angel investors?
- Whar is the difference between an opthalmologist, optometrist and optician?
- What’s the best eyebrow shape?
- I know vaccine doesn’t cause Autism, but I want to play it safe. What can I do?
- How do I make yellow nails look white again?
- What’s the difference between a BB cream and a tinted moisturizer?
- Can you drink too much water during exercise?
- Can you reuse false eyelashes?
- I hate blowdrying, but my hair’s flat every morning. What can I do?
- It’s so hard to wake my teen every morning. What can I do?
- Should I put a “fat” baby on a diet?
- Can the SPF in makeup substitute for sunblock?
- How do I wash wigs?
- How can I get my manicure to last longer?
- How do I wear tangerine/orange makeup?
- Is it okay to go on a long drive when I’m pregnant?
- Can aspirin really help the skin?
- Do I really need to use a skin toner?
- How do I know oil is hot enough for deep frying?
- Do I need to buy makeup if I get a makeup demo?
- What’s a polite way of getting rid of guests who overstay?
- Can I take medicine when I’m breastfeeding?
- Can violent video games make kids more aggressive?
- How much toothpaste should I use?
- How do I use apple cider vinegar to treat acne?
- How do I get chewy brownies?
- How long should I wait before trying again after a miscarriage?
- What kind of books can I get for my toddler?
- How many calories do I burn in one yoga session?